- Details
-
Tuesday, 20 January 2026
-
Written by Rachel Heimann Mercader, CityView Today
Accusations of secrecy, mismanagement, and withheld documents have fractured the nonprofit Fayetteville‑Cumberland County Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Committee, putting the future of the taxpayer‑funded MLK Park project in jeopardy.
Some civic leaders are even calling for committee chair Stanley Ford to resign.
“I’m hurt and embarrassed by him because of the way that he’s handling this situation,” former committee member Elmer Floyd told Cityview. “All he has to do is show the information that people are requesting.”
City and county officials warned Friday that unless Ford turns over financial records, bylaws, and membership lists, the MLK Park project could collapse, and millions of taxpayer dollars would have to be accounted for and returned to the state.
A meeting, called by Fayetteville City Council member D.J. Haire, brought together representatives from the city, county, and the MLK committee. Attendees at Friday’s meeting included council member Malik Davis and Cumberland County commissioners Kirk deViere and Veronica Jones.
Haire told Ford he expects a full accounting before the city council’s February 2 work session, where the council is scheduled to receive its next update on the park.
He also urged Ford to provide the same documents to the committee. Several members have said they’ve been left in the dark about the project.
The MLK committee has a board of directors and a committee of about 30 members led by President Tawanna Branch.
MLK Park Project Decades in the Making
The MLK Park project centers on a 120‑foot spire first proposed in the mid‑1990s. The monument would be lit on key dates honoring the late Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King. Over the years, the project has faced repeated setbacks, including the deaths of key advocates and disagreements over where the spire should be built.
Ford became chair in 2022 after the death of longtime committee leader Wilson Lacy. At that time, the project had secured $2.5 million in state funding. Since then, both the city and county pledged additional support, bringing the total funds for the project to $7.2 million. Once the committee produces bid‑ready construction documents, the county plans to transfer its funds to the city, which will oversee construction.
In a December article in the Fayetteville Press, Ford said he has spent $352,212 so far.
Several former and current members said Ford has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars without proper oversight.
“One of my major concerns is a possibility that some fraud may be taking place,” committee member Rev. Floyd W. Johnson Jr. told CityView.
In August 2025, Johnson, Floyd, committee treasurer Elison L. Elison, and former county commissioner Charles Evans sent Ford a cease‑and‑desist letter accusing him of:
• Failing to conduct financial audits.
• Failing to maintain required officers, including a treasurer.
• Failing to give proper notice of meetings.
• Failing to provide timely financial and committee reports.
• Failing to administer grant funds with transparency.
Evans, who helped secure county funding for the project, said Ford’s leadership has undermined years of work.
“It was hell getting the money … For this guy to come along and give such hardship to this community. He needs to go,” Evans said. “If there’s legal action that needs to be taken, so be it, because that’s taxpayers’ dollars.”
Evans said many committee members are senior citizens and that Ford “has taken advantage” of them.
“To humiliate the community and to humiliate the name of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., by carrying this through this turmoil, it’s a shame,” Evans said.
The letter demanded Ford resign, that a new election be held, and that all financial and operational records be released to the committee. It also warned that Ford’s actions were jeopardizing the spire project and public confidence in the organization.
While Branch was not part of the group that sent the letter, she told CityView she has repeatedly asked Ford to be transparent about how he has been spending the committee’s funds, and that he has refused to do so.
Ford denied all of the allegations in response to the letter and to CityView.
“They are fabricating these stories to you,” he told CityView.
Ford has accused committee members of holding meetings without him, not returning his calls, and withholding information.
Ford also said that Floyd and Evans are angry that he turned down their request to pay them as consultants on the project, though he declined to share email records supporting the allegation. Both Evans and Floyd deny they ever asked to be paid and said email records do not exist.
County Funding on Hold for MLK Park
County Manager Clarence Grier said the county’s contribution will not be released until Ford provides all requested financial records. The deadline is January 31. The county extended its funding timeline from October 2025 to January to give the group time to produce the documents.
Ford told CityView he can’t provide certain financial records because he claims they are “confidential” and “a government spreadsheet” that “cannot be copied.”
DeViere, who wrote the legislation that secured the committee’s original $2.5 million in state funding, disputed Ford’s claim. So did Jones. “That is a lie,” Jones told CityView.
“Those records are public records,” deViere said. “This committee and the leadership of this committee has to do the things they need to do to bring this project to the city in a bid‑ready package so that it can be built.”
Jones also questioned Ford’s explanation for postponing the MLK parade, which was scheduled for January 17. Board member Charlissa Davis signed a press release, distributed by Ford, that the parade was indefinitely postponed due to “safety issues.”
The Fayetteville Police Department said it was unaware of any safety concerns about the parade.
“What Ford said [about why the parade had to be postponed] was dishonesty,” Jones said.
Other committee members, including Branch, said they were unaware of any safety concerns and were “blindsided” by the announcement.
(The MLK Jr. Memorial Park in Fayetteville is located at 700 Blue St. Photo courtesy of City of Fayetteville)
- Details
-
Tuesday, 20 January 2026
-
Written by Jami McLaughlin
The Greater Fayetteville Chamber kicked off its first Chamber Coffee Club on Jan. 15 with former North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory discussing North Carolina’s economic competitiveness and workforce development trends through a Q&A session with Chamber President and CEO Nat Robertson. McCrory and Robertson met when Robertson was the mayor of Fayetteville, and Robertson partnered to get bridges repaired after Hurricane Matthew.
The Government Relations committee of the Greater Fayetteville Chamber also held a reception on Jan. 13 for the Fayetteville City Council, Cumberland County Board of Commissioners and the Cumberland County state delegation.
City of Fayetteville
On Jan. 12, the Fayetteville City Council authorized up to $40 million in bonds for infrastructure and public safety projects and the acceptance of a $354,000 grant from the International City/County Management Association for economic opportunity initiatives. Amendments for the Aubrey Hills Apartments loan were approved, and a site on Distribution Drive was rezoned to Light Industrial. Three new subdivision streets were added to the city system for Powell Bill eligibility.
On Jan. 5, the Fayetteville City Council received a presentation from the Economic and Community Development regarding the redevelopment of the Blount and Gillespie Street site. They were presented with three distinct concepts for the city-owned property, which varied in their mix of public green space, retail and multifamily housing density. Outreach efforts indicated that 61% of residents preferred dense, mixed-use buildings (3–6 stories) while 40% prioritized shaded lounge areas and ADA-accessible natural play spaces. The consensus was to proceed with drafting a Request for Qualifications to vet potential vendors.
The council will hold its Strategic Planning Retreat on Feb. 3-4.
Cumberland County
The Cumberland County Board of Commissioners reviewed a proposed interlocal agreement for Parks and Recreation with the City of Fayetteville. This agreement aims to address financial transparency, fee structures and cost redistribution for shared parks. A formal proposal is expected at their Feb. 12 meeting.
Fayetteville-Cumberland Parks and Recreation Director Michael Gibson presented a funding request for regional trail expansion to extend the Cape Fear River Trail from the current Fayetteville city limits to Arnette Park. He informed the board that a $1,096,000 FAMPO grant had been awarded for the design of this extension. The project requires a 20% local match of $274,000, bringing the total project cost to $1.37 million. The board unanimously approved the support request.
Preliminary survey results were also shared regarding a potential joint 911 center with Fayetteville. The joint 911 operations center is one of several options being discussed to address emergency call handling and coordination across the county. The community survey is designed to gather resident feedback on experiences, priorities and considerations related to emergency response and 911 communications, according to county officials. The public comment period remains open through Jan. 25. Residents are encouraged to participate by visiting: www.surveymonkey.com/r/joint911communityinput.
The board will hold its Strategic Planning Retreat on Jan. 23.
National Civics Bee®
The National Civics Bee®, a nationwide initiative led by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, will allow middle school students (6th, 7th, and 8th grades) to participate in North Carolina for the first time this year. Through the Greater Fayetteville Chamber, Fayetteville has been chosen as a regional site. Applications for students are officially open, and students have until Feb. 3 to submit.
For more information about the program, including educator resources and how to participate in the 2026 competition, visit www.faybiz.com/civicsbee.
About the Greater Fayetteville Chamber
Advocacy is a cornerstone of the Greater Fayetteville Chamber. Every week, the Chamber dedicates staff to attend City of Fayetteville and Cumberland County meetings as well as monitoring updates on the state and federal levels. We monitor legislation locally, statewide and federally to protect our community’s business interests. With 91% of U.S. adults recognizing a Chamber of Commerce's impact on growth, membership ensures a strong voice shaping policies, driving economic success and building a thriving business community—together. To learn more, visit www.faybiz.com or email jmclaughlin@faybiz.com.